Saturday, April 12, 2008

Alice's Restaurant

You can get anything you want...at Alice's Restaurant....

Arlo Guthrie's 1960's antiwar narrative that revolved around a Thanksgiving Day littering incident came to mind today when I was walking along the old Catonsville Short Line right-of-way.

Here, off the side of a side road, at the bottom of a fifteen foot cliff, was a big pile of garbage. Household garbage, dirty diapers, empty food containers...not the usual remains of a six-pack or a Mickey-D carryout.

Since I had my camera, I took some pictures, ending up with 27 eight-by-ten color glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was to be used as evidence against the perpetrators.

Now this isn't about Alice, or the restaurant, it's just a rant. Who would dump garbage along a neighborhood walking trail anyway? In this case, I'm afraid that justice will be more blind than usual, and nobody will have to pay for this crime except people like me who had their walk spoiled.

No comments: