Thursday, February 21, 2008

Let's Get Physical

Well, I got one today. Doc says cholesterol, heart rhythm, lungs, and BP are perfect. (Better living thru chemistry...the array of pills I take everyday is working most of this magic.) Anyhow, the next task at hand is to shed a few ...like 15...pounds, and start up a daily walking routine.

I started Wednesday over at Arundel Mills Mall, where I think one lap around the inside is about 3/4 of a mile. I've done two laps, two days in a row, gasping and staggering at the end; I would like to get up to three miles a day in the next couple weeks, then farther as the days get longer and warmer and I can walk outside in the evening. Pops tells about a friend of his who liked to walk for exercise. He always followed the bus line, so when he got tired he would just stop and ride the bus back home. That strategy works for me.

After a month or so will probably start carrying a pack too and start some all-day hikes and then a couple overnighters.

Starting to think about the logistics side too. We plan to hike down into the canyon the first day, spend two nites, then hike back out in two days, overnighting halfway up. This will NOT be a rim-to-rim hike by the way...that's more adventure than I can probably stand this time. Lots to do for the wraparound too...flight arrangements, transportation to/from, accommodations.

No comments: